Library Record
Images
Metadata
Title |
Hotels: Rockingham House. |
Call# |
Rockingham House |
Object Name |
File, Document |
Object ID |
Vertical File 0191 |
Multimedia Files |
Click here to view the City of Portsmouth historic marker. |
Summary |
The Rockingham, located at 401 State Street in Portsmouth, was originally the home of Woodbury Langdon (brother of John Langdon), built in 1785; he lived there until his death in 1805. It was converted into a hotel in the 1830s and was bought and enlarged by Frank Jones in 1870. Architects: Gridley J. F. Bryant with Louis P. Robbers (1870); Jabez Sears (1885-1887 renovation). There was a fire in 1884, and all that remained was the dining room, now the Library Restaurant. Jones rebuilt the hotel, which continued to operate until 1973 when the building was converted to condominiums. Items in the multimedia link may not represent everything in the vertical file. |
Subjects |
Vertical File Portsmouth (N.H.) Hotels |
Search Terms |
Rockingham Hotel Rockingham House |
Physical Description |
File folder. |
