|Collection||George H. Kimball Collection|
|Title||U.S.S. Wasp Visits New Hampshire|
|Year Range from||1955|
|Year Range to||1965|
Aboard the U.S.S. Wasp (CV/CVA/CVS-18) in July 1957.
Stationed at the Boston Navy Yard, the U.S.S. Wasp was the largest ship to visit New Hampshire, dropping anchor two and one quarter miles off the coast of New Castle from July 3-5, 1957. Its visit was part of the Portsmouth Jubilee Week, presented by the Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce.
Carrying over 1800 men, the carrier was 872 feet long wtih an angled deck and hurricane bow. During WWII, the Wasp's "sting" made almost daily headlines for its battles.
According to Wiki is the following information on the Wasp:
The Wasp was one of 24 Essex-class aircraft carriers built during World War II for the United States Navy. The ship, the ninth US Navy ship to bear the name, was originally named Oriskany, but was renamed while under construction in honor of the previous Wasp (CV-7), which was sunk 15 September 1942. Wasp was commissioned in November 1943, and served in several campaigns in the Pacific Theater of Operations, earning eight battle stars. Like many of her sister ships, she was decommissioned shortly after the end of the war, but was modernized and recommissioned in the early 1950s as an attack carrier (CVA), and then eventually became an antisubmarine carrier (CVS). In her second career she operated mainly in the Atlantic, Mediterranean, and Caribbean.
She was retired in 1972 and sold for scrap in 1973.
|Object Name||Transparency, Slide|
|Print size||2" x 2"|
Portsmouth Naval Shipyard
Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce
Portsmouth Jubilee Week